Applying for a Short-Term Business Visa in South Africa


A Short-term Business Visa, also known as a Sec 11(2) Visa, may be issued to a person who wishes to come to South Africa for a period of up to ninety days. The individual will be allowed to conduct business related activities during this period.

What you need to know:

No person holding a visitor's visa may apply for a change of status to his or her visa while in the Republic, unless under exceptional circumstances set out below:

i. is in need of emergency lifesaving medical treatment for longer than three months;

ii. is an accompanying spouse or child of a holder of the business or work visa, who wishes to apply for a study or work visa;

iii. be that the holder's continued stay in the Republic is required for any purpose related to a criminal trial in the Republic: Provided that such application shall be initiated by the relevant Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions and addressed to the Director-General.

What you need to have:

  • A duly completed online form. Handwritten forms will not be accepted by Department of Home Affairs.
  • A valid passport which expires in no less than 30 days after expiry of the intended date of departure from the Republic in terms of regulation 9(1)(a)
  • The application is being submitted in person, no less than 60 days prior to the expiry date of the applicant’s visa and if the visa was issued for less than 30 days, not later than seven working days before the expiry of the visa.
  • A valid return air flight ticket or proof of reservation thereof.
  • The proof of sufficient available financial resources contemplated in section 11(1)(b) of the Act in the form of a recently bank certified statement, for the last three months.
  • A medical report not older than 6 months
  • A radiological report. Provided that a radiological report shall not be required in respect of children under the age of 12 years or pregnant women;
  • In respect of dependent children accompanying the applicant or joining the applicant in the Republic, proof of parental responsibilities and rights or written consent in the form of an affidavit from the other parent or legal guardian, as the case may be.
  • In respect of a spouse accompanying the applicant or joining the applicant in the Republic, a copy of a marriage certificate or proof of a relationship as contemplated in regulation 3;
  • Statement or documentation detailing the purpose and duration of the visit in terms of regulation 11(1)(a).
  • In respect of dependent children accompanying the applicant to or joining the applicant in the Republic, be accompanied by:
    • proof of consent from one or both parents or legal guardian, as the case may be, in the form of a letter or affidavit;
    • where applicable, a copy of a court order granting the applicant parental responsibilities and rights in respect of the child; a letter from the person who is to receive the child in the Republic, containing his or her residential address in the Republic where the child will be residing;
    • a copy of the identity document or valid passport and visa or permanent residence permit of the person who is to receive the child in the Republic; and
    • the contact details of the parents or legal guardian;
  • Where the application is for the attendance of an activity or event, include a letter from the organisation under whose control the activity or event will take place, confirming such attendance and whether or not the foreigner will be remunerated, and if remunerated, the amount of the remuneration.
  • A yellow fever vaccination certificate if that person travelled or intends travelling from or transiting through a yellow fever endemic area: (Provided that the certificate shall not be required where that person travelled or intends travelling in direct transit through such area).
  • The affidavit where a spousal relationship to a South African citizen or resident is applicable as well as documentation proving cohabitation and the extent to which the related financial responsibilities are shared by the parties and setting out the particulars of children in the spousal relationship.
  • Proof of a union recognised in terms of the Recognition of Customary Marriages Act, 1998 (Act No. 120 of 1998), where applicable.
  • A divorce decree, where applicable.
  • A death certificate, in respect of late spouse, where applicable.
  • Legal separation order, where applicable.
  • Proof of payment of the applicable fee.