Applying for a Retirement Visa in South Africa
A Retirement visa for South Africa is a temporary visa which allows you to stay in South Africa for up to 4 years.
What you need to know:
A person who wishes to retire in South Africa may apply for a retired person's visa, provided that he or she receives at least R37 000 per month from a pension fund or an irrevocable retirement annuity or has a net worth or a combination of assets realising a minimum monthly income of R37 000.
What you need to have:
- A duly completed online form.
- Certified copy of bio page of passport.
- Certified copy of current visa.
- Appointment confirmation from VFS.
- A valid passport which expires in no less than 30 days after expiry of the intended date of departure from the Republic in terms of regulation 9(1)(a).
- The application is being submitted in person, no less than 60 days prior to the expiry date of the applicant’s visa and if the visa was issued for less than 30 days, not later than seven working days before the expiry of the visa.
- Letter of Intent.
- Proof of payment from VFS.
- A valid return air flight ticket or proof of reservation thereof.
- The proof of sufficient available financial means in the form of a pension with a minimum of R37,000 per month or an irrevocable retirement annuity or retirement account to the equivalent amount, or a net worth providing an income of at least R37,000 per month.
- A medical report not older than 6 months
- A radiological report.
- Full criminal background check and police clearance certificates from all countries applicant lived since the age of 18 for one year or longer.
- A yellow fever vaccination certificate if that person travelled or intends travelling from or transiting through a yellow fever endemic area.
- A divorce decree, where applicable.
- A death certificate, in respect of late spouse, where applicable.
- Legal separation order, where applicable.
- Proof of payment of the applicable fee.