Applying for a Permanent Residence Permit in South Africa
South Africa prefers immigrants who are in a position to make a meaningful contribution to broadening the economic base of South Africa.
What you need to know:
Before you can apply for a permanent residency permit, you must first motivate why you should be declared not to be a prohibited person or an undesirable person. You and your spouse qualify for a direct permanent residence permit if you have lived in South Africa on the basis of your work permit for a minimum period of five years. Dependents of South African citizens or permanent residence permit holders can also apply.
What you need to have:
- Applicants must renew their temporary resident visa whilst awaiting the outcome for permanent residence permit.
- VFS appointment letter.
- A duly completed DHA-947 form online. Handwritten forms will not be accepted by the Department of Home Affairs.
- Payment of the application fee of R2870. If the application fee was paid to VFS bank account or the mission, an original bank payment receipt, where the application fee was paid using the Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT), receipt for each applicant.
- Present a valid original passport in respect of each applicant and passport photograph for all applicants one year of age and older. A recent, passport-type, full face photograph bearing the names of the applicants on the reverse side thereof. (Machine-type or instant photographs are not acceptable).
- A valid general work visa for temporary sojourn at the time of application in respect of each applicant, if the application is made in the Republic.
- A marriage certificate or proof of relationship in respect of a spouse accompanying the applicant or joining the applicant in the Republic (Islamic marriages entered into within the Republic are not considered).
- A divorce decree to prove the dissolution of a marriage in the case where a party was a spouse in the previous marriage or the death certificate of the deceased spouse.
- Proof of financial support to each other.
- Proof of parental responsibilities and rights or written consent in the form of an affidavit from the other parent or legal guardian, as the case may be in respect of dependent children accompanying the applicant or joining the applicant in the Republic.
- Unabridged birth certificate, or extract from birth record for applicant(s).
- A deed poll in the case of the applicant who has changed his or her name, surname or sex.
- An original Police clearance certificate issued by the police or security authority in each country where the relevant applicant resided for 12 months or longer after attaining the age of 18 years except for South Africa, in respect of criminal records or the character of that applicant, which certificate shall not be older than six months at the time of its submission: (Provided that the certificate shall not be required from a foreign country in the case of renewal or extension of a visa).
- A radiological report (not required in respect of children under the age of 12 years or a pregnant woman). The certificate must not be older than six (6) months at the time the applicant submits an application.
- A medical report for all applicants. The certificate must not be older than six (6) months at the time the applicant submits an application.
- A yellow fever vaccination certificate if that person travelled or intends travelling from or transit through a yellow fever endemic area: Provided that the certificate shall not be required where that person travelled or intends travelling in direct transit through such area or where an application is made in the Republic.
- Proof of five years continuous work visa, excluding work in terms of intra company transfer, corporate and Zimbabwean special project visas.
- Offer of permanent employment in the form of a contract of employment.
- A letter from your employer confirming your current and permanent employment, which is not older than six months.
- Proof of qualifications evaluated by the South African Qualification Authority.
- Work references or certificates of service (covering at least the last five years).
- Present yourself for biometrics at the visa facilitation centre.
- Endorsement related to Professional Association should be attached.