Applying for an Intra Company Transfer Visa in South Africa


Occasionally, multi-national companies may decide to transfer an existing employee from a foreign branch to a branch in South Africa.

What you need to know:

These employees must apply for intra-company transfer work visa. In such cases, no proof of steps taken to obtain the services of a South African citizen/permanent residence will be required. Intra-company transfer work Visas are issued for a period not exceeding 4 years and cannot be renewed or extended.

What you need to have:

  • A duly completed online form. Handwritten forms will not be accepted by the Department of Home Affairs.
  • A passport valid for no less than 30 calendar days after expiry of the intended visit.
  • A medical report.
  • A radiological report.
  • A marriage certificate or in the case of a foreign spousal relationship, proof of official recognition thereof issued by the authorities of the foreign country of the applicant (where applicable).
  • The affidavit where a spousal relationship to a South African citizen or resident is applicable as well as documentation proving cohabitation and the extent to which the related financial responsibilities are shared by the parties and setting out the particulars of children in the spousal relationship.
  • Proof of a union recognised in terms of the Recognition of Customary Marriages Act, 1998 (Act No. 120 of 1998), where applicable.
  • A divorce decree, where applicable.
  • Proof of court order awarding custody, where applicable.
  • A death certificate, in respect of late spouse, where applicable.
  • Written consent from both parents and/or sole custody parent, where applicable, with proof of sole custody.
  • Proof of legal adoption where applicable.
  • Legal separation order, where applicable.
  • Original Police clearance certificate issued by the police or security authority in each country where the relevant applicant resided for 12 months or longer after attaining the age of 18 years except for South Africa, in respect of criminal records or the character of that applicant, which certificate shall not be older than six months at the time of its submission: (Provided that the certificate shall not be required from a foreign country in the case of renewal or extension of a visa).
  • Biometric enrolment fee.
  • A yellow fever vaccination certificate if that person travelled or intends travelling from or transiting through a yellow fever endemic area: (Provided that the certificate shall not be required where that person travelled or intends travelling in direct transit through such area).
  • The foreigner's contract of employment with the company abroad valid for a period of not less than six months.
  • A letter from the company abroad confirming that the foreigner shall be transferred to a branch, subsidiary or an affiliate of that company in the Republic.
  • A letter from the branch, subsidiary or an affiliate in the Republic confirming the transfer of the foreigner and specifying the occupation and capacity in which that foreigner shall be employed.
  • An undertaking by the relevant employer that:
    • A foreigner is only employed in the specific position for which the visa has been issued;
    • the foreign employee will at all times comply with the provisions of the Act and conditions of his or her visa and undertakes to immediately notify the Director-General if the employee refuses to comply with the provisions of the Act or conditions of the visa; and
    • a plan is developed for the transfer of skills to a South African citizen or permanent resident.
  • An undertaking by the relevant employer to reimburse the Department any costs incurred in relation to the deportation of the holder of an intra-company transfer work visa and any of his or her dependent family members.
  • Proof of payment of the applicable fee.